posted to rec.boats.building
Garland Gray II Garland Gray II is offline

Default Removing silicone residue

Thanks for all the responses.
This morning I asked around about hexane, but couldn't find anything
definitive, so I called 3M tech support, and they said to use "Brakeclean"
to remove the silicone film. I had some, so that is what I used. I then
bonded with some JB Weld, which also was on hand, and it's tighter than a
tick now.
Regarding possible failure from different coefficients of thermal expansion,
I don't think it will be subjected to enough temperature variation for this
to be a factor. I didn't say what sort of jewelry it is --a pendant on a
necklass .

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Actually this is not on a boat, but same principles will apply.

I need to reglue--with epoxy I hope--something that appears to have been
glued with silicone. I recall reading of a solution that could be used to
wash the silicone residue that would otherwise prevent good adhesion.
Maybe powdered detergent and kerosene ? Sounds messy, but my memory might
be in left field.

Any ideas that work ?