posted to rec.boats.building
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Removing silicone residue

Garland Gray II wrote:

My wife handed me a piece of her jewelry -- a square of ceramic or the
like-- from which the glued on eye had become detached. The old

glue and
feels like silicone.

There is a product called "Goof Off" which contains xylene, packaged
in a 4.5 OZ can, which you can buy at almost any hardware store.

"Goof Off" and judicious use of a tooth brush should get the surfaces
clean.

SFWIW, it has never failed me.

As others have commented, would not use epoxy for this application,
but rather a mastic type bedding compound as suggested by Ian.

Should be able to buy a small quantity in a "squeeze tube" type
package, again at a hardware store.

Lew