posted to rec.boats.building
Ian Malcolm Ian Malcolm is offline

Default Removing silicone residue

Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:34:51 GMT, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

If you're going to apply silicone over silicone, it should adhere
without problems, shouldn't it? It's when you try to use any other
adhesive that you get into trouble. IIRC, I've seen some information
about prepping and bonding with silicone adhesives on the Dow-Corning,
GE and 3M sites.

Silicone will not bond to cured silicone. Not even slightly.

CWM

Which is one of the *many* reasons why I generally refer to it as
*SILLY* - *CON* sealant and would reject any work done on a boat with it
without my explicit permission as 'unfit for purpose' (I do give written
instuctions not to use it so its their own fault . . .)

Unless you *really* need its special properties (like in this
application, some sorts of electrical/electronic repair or sealing
Perspex), *DONT* use it.

For general use *ANYTHING* *ELSE* is preferable, even a mix of tar,
tallow, horsehair, litharge and portland cement powder.

Any of the Butyl, Polysulphide or Acrylic sealants are far nicer and
more reliable.

In addition it doesn't noticably degrade even after the seal has failed
and its peeling away and chunks of it cant be good food for all sorts of
marine life. :-(

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.