posted to rec.boats.electronics
William Andersen William Andersen is offline

Default NMEA:Garmin to Furuno

I guess I'll have to wait for Garmin...
Neither manual uses the term port.
Garmin has two Outs, so if one doesn't work, I can try the other.
Furuno doesn't have an RD-H or RD-l .

"Peter Bennett" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:59:22 -0800, "William Andersen"
wrote:

Anybody know how to connect a Garmin 198C to a Furuno 1622?
I have the manuals from both but they don't use the same terminology.
Garmin uses NMEA Out COM 1 Tx, NMEA In COM 1 Rx, COM 2 TX, COM 2 Rx
Furuno uses RD1-H, RD1-C, RD2-H, RD2-C, and refers to Navigator wires as
TX-H, TX-C, and Sounder wires as TX-H, TX-C.
I emailed Garmin (they've been prompt before) but haven't had an answer
yet.

A Garmin "Out" should connect to a Furuno "RD-H", and the "RD-L"
should be grounded.

You will have to consult the manuals for both products to determine
whether to use port 1 or 2 on each unit.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI Vancouver BC, Canada
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca