Tim Tim is offline

Default Access to the water will be increasingly challenging

Doug, the bigger lakes are controlled by the army Corps pf Engineers,
and the smaller lakes are in the State parks. Then the rivers are,
well... rivers. So If there's going to be any developing, I think it
will be very controlled.

But then again.....

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
oups.com...
An item from the press release folder illustrates a problem that will
erode opportunities for boating in most communities unless it is
addressed.

I drive nearly every day past a good example of this phenomenon. An
area once occupied by the physically largest recreationally oriented
boatyard on Seattle's Lake Union is being developed for condominiums.
To skirt City of Seattle requirements that any waterfront developments
must be related to water-oriented activities, a very small dock has
been built as part of the project. It would seem unlikely that there
will be any public access to this dock, as none of the new owners of
the $half million and up, up, up waterfront condominiums will want
strangers coming ashore in their front yard. Most likely the moorage
will be sold to the condo residents.

It's not just boat access that suffers. It's access for pedestrians who
simply want to walk along a waterfront with an ice cream cone and enjoy
the
view. We're facing these issues here (Rochester), and it's not easy to
deal
with. Occasionally, a politician will acknowledge that so-called "city
planning" is driven by contractors, but having an honest discussion at
public comment meetings is next to impossible. These projects are jammed
down the public's throat because city officials are connected in some way
with the financial success of the projects. At one of these meetings, I
listened as a resident asked two city council members if they'd be OK
with
having all their investments made public, so we could be sure they
weren't
involved in anything like limited partnerships connected with the plans
being discussed. Naturally, this did not go over well, which isn't
surprising. 15 years ago, the supervisor of the town where I now live was
on
a big campaign to have an unneeded mall built. He said it would be a
great
benefit to the community. It was, at least to a miniscule portion of "the
community": His brother, who owned the land which was sold to the
developer.
The mall is now 85% vacant.

I pity for y'all, but living here in the middle fo BF Illinois, I don't
think we're going to have much of that problem.

No lakes out your way? If there are, developers will find them. Just wait.