posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Shaft Log / Cutlass Bearing - tight fit...?

On 15 Jan 2007 13:38:32 -0800, wrote:

My new Buck Algonquin bronze shaft log is advertised as being bored to
accept a 1.5" cutlass bearing. ///
I tried to slide the Bearing into the Log - no way.

I got out the calipers; the O.D. of the bearing is indeed 1.50", but
the I.D. of the Log is just 1.4875"

Is it expected that one must heat / cool these pieces in order to get
them to fit?

Many Thanks.
MW

the ratio of diameters is 1.5000 / 1.4875 = 1.0084

Brass and bronze alloys typically show thermal linear
expansivities of 16 to 19 ppm per degC
To expand by 0.8% would need a temp rise of more
than 525 degC This is not the usual range for
shrinking in place.
I expect the Buck bearing housing should have been
machined to fit e.g a 1 X 1.5 inch bearing.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK