Michael Porter Michael Porter is offline

Default Converting commercial trawlers

It's a good idea if you want that much boat. But except for some of
the inshore boats (Lobster boats, west coast trawlers, eg), you will
by hauling a LOT of displacement around and paying the consequent fuel
bills. Of course, if you just want a live-aboard and don't do much
traveling, they are a great deal.

Cal Vanize wrote:

As we do our research, we occassionally run across a boat such is this:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...d=37464&ur l=

Though I'm sure maintenance on these commercial boats has been secondary
to their operation, their price would seem to allow for some work to
bring maintenance up to current (would that be around $50k or so?).

But being purposefully built commercial fishing boats, they would seem
to need a lot of work to convert them for liveaboard / personal cruising.

So, using this boat (or one similar) as an example, what would it
generally take (typical time, money and effort) to convert a fishing
trawler to a liveaboard cruising trawler? (and is a Cat 3408 a good
diesel for this application?)