Larry Larry is offline

Default Converting commercial trawlers

Cal Vanize wrote in news:rUwqh.232$Je6.118
@newsfe02.lga:

Though I'm sure maintenance on these commercial boats has been

secondary
to their operation, their price would seem to allow for some work to
bring maintenance up to current (would that be around $50k or so?).

Not so. This boat was operated by people who knew what they were doing,
not some rich banker that just left as a dock condo. She had an engineer
who cared for her systems, because if she failed she didn't make anyone
any money. The banker wasn't going to own it that long, so he didn't
give a **** if it had an oil change or not....as long as he wasn't
involved.

But being purposefully built commercial fishing boats, they would seem
to need a lot of work to convert them for liveaboard / personal

cruising.

Convert?? She's beautiful! A very proper boat! Oh, how wonderful it
would be to be able to come in from the weather deck, all wet in your
foulies and boots and NOT have someone bitching at you to watch the
custom carpet and make sure your PFD harness didn't scratch the fine,
imported teak. Look at all that beautiful....well, FORMICA!

She's got 4 bunks and 2 heads...check.
50 gallon hot water tank....check.
A head you're not afraid to miss the hole on if the sea makes you
lurch...check!
A galley made for COOKING, not photography....check!
I didn't see any holds in the yachtie-pretty tour pictures. Is it big
enough for the barbie and 20 drunks to have a party if we push the DJ
back into a corner?

So, using this boat (or one similar) as an example, what would it
generally take (typical time, money and effort) to convert a fishing
trawler to a liveaboard cruising trawler?

Just move aboard and give the missus a few months to let it grow on her.
She'll appreciate the easy cleanups and not having to be afraid to
scratch anything. She'll get used to it. Let's give up this silly
notion of turning it into a Hinckley for an extra $80K. Set that money
aside so we can replace her main engine and main generator if that time
ever happens. This is a MANLY boat (AR! AR!)....not some floating
whorehouse! Don't spoil her hard life character.

(and is a Cat 3408 a good
diesel for this application?)

3408 is a great engine....not a proper 4-53 or 6-71...but a great engine.
It's probably the SIMPLE, mechanic-repairable, MECHANICAL diesel that
doesn't require a computer science degree with Unix training to
troubleshoot. Caterpiller makes fine tractor engines...converted to
marine use. I sure like the auxiliary hydraulic get-home engine that
won't leave you stranded. First class electrical power, too, but I must
have missed the HOURS on all of these.

Make a note the main engine is ALREADY overhauled from an ALREADY
reconditioned block. So, when it wears out NEXT time, it will need
replacement because it has ALREADY been through the overhaul count before
you got it. They can only be overhauled X times, not indefinately.

Let us know when you want us to come by and see your new trawler! We'll
bring the booze, food and music....(c;

Larry
--
Extremely intelligent life exists that is so smart they never called
Earth.