posted to rec.boats.electronics
Leonard Leonard is offline

Default Marine VHF Coast Station (USA)

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
Well not exactly true. A Licenced Amateur may use any Marine Radio to
transmit on Part 97 frequencies that his License allows. Modifying a
Marine Radio to transmit on frequencies outside those allowed under
Part 80, may, or may not, violate the Type Acceptance for that Radio,
depending on just what is done to the radio to open it up.
Bruce in Alaska wrote:

I don't believe the Marine SSB frequencies (Channels) fall within the
approved Amateur bands.
Any modification of a type accepted radio voids it's certificate and
can no longer be used on the Marine SSB Channels.

Can you even modify an Amateur radio to "Transmit" on the Marine
Channels? My Icom can't transmit on Marine SSB Channels, but I can
receive them.

I believe the older Marine radios operated under crystal control. I
don't know about the new Marine SSB's.

Icom and others make dual use radios, Amateur Radio and Marine SSB.

Wasn't the original question/statement that he was going to use his
Amateur radio to join in on the Marine SSB nets?

Maybe I missed something.