Tim Tim is offline

Default Why do solar panels output 19V

Just a wild guess, but probably because the amp output is so small,
that it relies on the voltage to push what it can make though.

at almost no amps the 19v won't hurt a 12v battery.

wrote:
I was curious if someone could explain why solar panels that charge a
12V system put out 19V? I used a multi-meter to check the voltage on my
panels and was at first alarmed that they output 19V but then upon
looking online I discovered that it's fairly common. Anyhow, was
wondering if someone would be game to explain why they make many solar
panels to output 19V (instead of a more common charging voltage such as
14.5V)?

Thanks,
Todd
--