Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Winterizing Engine Compartment with 40 Watt Light Bulb

"Chuck Gould" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bryan wrote:
It's going to be below freezing tonight in an area where winterizing is
optional. I chose not to winterize so that I could use my boat on the
nice
days during the winter.

My friend told me to put a 40 watt utility light in the engine
compartment
for cold nights. So, I leave a 40 watt bulb burning in the engine
compartment of my Sea Ray 185. What do you think of this winterizing
solution?

Muphy's Law: If the only thing protecting your $10,000 engine from
freeze up is a 49-cent light bulb, the odds of it burning out on the
coldest night of the year are far higher than the odds of it failing at
any other time.

If you really need to go this way, use two light bulbs.

Others suggested block heaters (good idea). Another low cost
alternative are some long rods called "Damp Chasers". They use these in
pianos subjected to cold or wet environments to help prevent damage to
the sounding boards. These will plug into an AC outlet, present no
ignition risk aside from the plug itself, cannot "burn out", and will
boost the temperature a few degrees.

Does the water around your boat freeze? If that water is staying at 33
degrees or above then your boat is resting in an above freezing medium
that will help to maintain an above freezing
temperature in the engine room. If you are hauled out onto a trailer,
then you are surrounded by a below freezing medium (the air) and you
will need more heat to prevent freezeup.

The Coast Guard uses heavy duty electric blankets.