posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] lazy@lazyiguana.org is offline

Default Marine VHF Coast Station (USA)

Hello. I was just appointed to be the Communications Staff Officer for
a USCG Auxiliary Flotilla.

I need to know a few things, and I am hoping someone on this group may
be more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.

1. I am inclined to believe that I may need a marine VHF shore station
to take part in Auxiliary radio nets. If this is the case, how do I
apply for the proper license? Do I need to pass the GROL, or should I
just take element 1 and get the marine radio operators permit. From
what I can see, the GROL includes element 1 (marine radio operators
permit) plus one more element - and the GROL is good for life. I hold a
FCC amateur radio extra class license already, so passing the GROL
should not be a problem, even with the radar endorsement.

2. Are there auxiliary news on HF, or just VHF? As I mentioned before I
hold an amateur extra class license, so taking part in HF nets is not a
major problem.

Thanks in advance for any information that will be useful to me.