Chad Chad is offline

Default Winterizing Engine Compartment with 40 Watt Light Bulb

"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
Bryan wrote:
It's going to be below freezing tonight in an area where winterizing is
optional. I chose not to winterize so that I could use my boat on the
nice days during the winter.

My friend told me to put a 40 watt utility light in the engine
compartment for cold nights. So, I leave a 40 watt bulb burning in the
engine compartment of my Sea Ray 185. What do you think of this
winterizing solution?

I personally think this is a very expensive way to gamble. It will raise
the temperature a few degrees inside the bilge area, so it depends upon
how cold it gets outside if the water inside the engine freezes. If I
could not truly winterize the engine, I would put the boat inside the
garage, stuff some rags around the air vents to keep the warmth inside the
bilge and use a few bulbs instead of just one.

I have heard of this way but don't know of anyone that has did it.
What I would do is go to the parts store and buy a magnitic block heater
I did this many years ago with my first boat and it worked out fine for me.