Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Winterizing Engine Compartment with 40 Watt Light Bulb

Bryan wrote:
It's going to be below freezing tonight in an area where winterizing is
optional. I chose not to winterize so that I could use my boat on the nice
days during the winter.

My friend told me to put a 40 watt utility light in the engine compartment
for cold nights. So, I leave a 40 watt bulb burning in the engine
compartment of my Sea Ray 185. What do you think of this winterizing
solution?

I personally think this is a very expensive way to gamble. It will
raise the temperature a few degrees inside the bilge area, so it depends
upon how cold it gets outside if the water inside the engine freezes.
If I could not truly winterize the engine, I would put the boat inside
the garage, stuff some rags around the air vents to keep the warmth
inside the bilge and use a few bulbs instead of just one.