Wayne.B

Default Starnge raw water pump failures

On 26 May 2004 08:06:22 -0700, (Gwynne Spencer)
wrote:
Both my engines (Volvo Penta KAD42 diesels) had a raw water pump
(flexible impeller type) failure after not being used for a long
period of time. Apparently the screws holding the "cams" in place
corroded and the cams came loose and spun around with the impeller.
The mechanic says that the inside surface of the pumps was not damaged
- sort of hard to believe that the spinning metal cam did not gall the
surface??

Anyone ever see this kind of failure?

No but I suppose it's possible. More likely in my opinion the rubber
impellers developed a "set" from resting in one position for so long.
They may also have dried out which is tough on the rubber when they
first start up.