posted to rec.boats.building
den den is offline

Default plywood tanks

Sir Karl wrote:
I am rebuilding a Nova Scotia lobster boat to go cruising in the Carribean.
I am thinking of building epoxy covered diesel fuel tanks. Anabody having
any experienec with those?

Thanks

Luc
MV/ Julie C
Montreal

O.K. here is how I use a forum. I put " epoxy fuel tanks " in the
little search box, poke search, and get thousands of hits. Just
skimming a few, I see that it is NOT a good idea. I am kinda glad to
see this, as I heve removed 2 200 gallon tanks, and 2 100 gallon tanks
from my vessel for reconditioning. The 50 gallon center tank can stay
in there forever, as far as I am concerned. It would have been easier
to fill, and drain epoxy, but I just didn't feel that was the correct
way. I would think you would not want to have to worry about fuel, on
your journey, so would invest in a good set of tanks. I do not know the
price of monel, but I took them out of an old Owens, rattled gravel
aqround in them, then took them to a car wash, and pressured them
clean. The ones I am working on now are 5020?? (or something like
that) AL, and there are HOLES in it where it rained in there. Just one
tank is that way. I may have to have one built if I cannot reliably
patch it.Oh well, I ramble. sorry. Good luck, and see what others have
done/said.
Den Uniflite48YF