posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Masthead Wind Instrument

wrote in news:1168401709.171823.162250
@i56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Anyway, I don't want to go through that again, so am after
recommendations for a new unit.

We've had really good results with B&G instruments on Lionheart. Ours are
now obsolete, being the "Network" series which is a daisy-chained NMEA 0183
you can pull data out of by just connecting to its data wire anywhere in
the loop. Some of the B&G instrumnets on the Amel Sharki 41 have been on
it long before we got it. Lightning got the wind head before we got the
boat. I could tell because the bearing in the anemometer was welded
together. Even that didn't kill the unit! We got a new head and replaced
the wiring inside the mast and it works fine, now. I like its ability to
be calibrated by instructions in the manual. I'm sure the new units are
similarly adjustable. We have units WIND - SPEED/LOG - PILOT
(electro/hydraulic autopilot with separate compass sensor) - DEPTH - DATA
(repeater at the nav station) and they all work great after I cleaned up
the wiring from the rats nest the previous owner made.

B&G, being British, should be quite popular in Australia, too, which helps.