posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in
t:

That's why having a tool like NetStumbler is
useful.

If you boys cruise up the Ashley River to look at the gardens, you'll
find SSID W4CSC in the middle of the river bend just upstream from
Magnolia Plantation & Gardens (http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/) about
400 yards upstream from the end of the no-wake zone that protects the
plantation's riverbank. It's unprotected, 50' up my tree and runs 200mw
so there's plenty of signal and bandwidth for all.

Charleston City Marina, in the face of free internet with no restrictions
from The Harborage at Ashley Marina next door, easily in range of city
marina boats, gave up trying to boost revenues by selling internet and
now provides free internet to anyone with a wifi transceiver by simply
connecting. This goes along, also, with the City of Charleston's
peninsula-wide new free internet system that provides a throttled 110Kbps
wifi signal across the whole downtown area for anyone to use. The city
sells more bandwidth for a small fee to help pay for it and have a lot of
subscribers, locals like lawyers/doctors/business/real estate who buy the
wideband service with such mobility. It's been quite successful and self
supporting, I'm told.

Charleston is quite wifi friendly. My Netgear SPH101 Skype phone worked
at the tire dealer while I was waiting for them to replace the damned
Bridgestone super tire that couldn't stand the terrible pressure at 32psi
and bubbled the tread off the cord. That makes tire 3 with tread
separation from Goodyear and Bridgestone in the last 6 months....another
issue that needs fixing.

We Charlestonians WOULD appreciate it if you brought a little cash with
you and spent some while you're appreciating our free wifi hospitality,
however...(c;

Y'all come! Sit a spell! Have a Mint Julep on the veranda while the
kids play on the jogglin' board.
http://www.oldcharlestonjogglingboard.com/
Ship one home for later!
http://www.charlestonfavorites.com/