posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

"Geoff Schultz" wrote

OK, then maybe you can tell me where in the Bahama **Out Islands** you
found wireless. If you're talking Nassau or the Abacos, then yes,
wireless
is available.

Netstumbler was very useful on Exuma for finding signals. Found 3 usable
signals at Georgetown with weird radiation patterns. 200 yards made a lot
of difference in signal strength. Also at the Four Seasons Marina, Emerald
Bay, Staniel Cay and Cat Island.

Marina wifi antennas are aimed out over the slips and tend to fall off
rapidly near the edges of the pattern. If you can find the center of the
pattern you can be a fair ways off and still get a usable signal. The
problem with marina systems is that you have to go in and open an account
which cost a few bucks if you are not in a slip. A lot of villas along the
beach have unsecured APs too and they have very erratic patterns. Must
have something to do with the position of the AP to windows and metal in the
house. With a good wifi rig you can sometimes find them several hundred
yards off shore.

Coverage is hit and miss but with the right tools you can sniff out more
spots.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com