DSK

Default Possible Cracks in Hull (fiberglass)

Y wrote:
Thanks for the advise. Your descriptions of this problem put me at
ease.

It's really no biggie. Fiberglass is not perfect (but then, what is?)

... Yes, some of the cracks are in a spiderweb pattern specially on
the transom (close to the stern drive) where they are more numerous.

OK, that sounds like it's due to flexing & stress. I'd recommend putting
a little more "beef" down there instead of just a cosmetic fix.

Instead of writing a long post here, which would only relate to my own
skills & experience, I suggest you check into the newsgroup
rec.boats.building and ask about it. There are a lot of people with a
great deal more knowledge. Don't forget the local library will almost
certainly have a book or two on basic fiberglass work ...kind of old
fashioned in this modern cyber world, but a great resource.

In any event, it's a job that requires a little brains and a little
grunt work, but it's not rocket surgery. If you're at all handy, should
be easy... and fiberglass skills are of value to anybody owning a
fiberglass boat.

Allow me to ask you one last question: if the previous owner fixed it
in the manner you describe, how long would you estimate it would take
for the gelcoat cracks to reappear, assuming "normal" use? By normal
use, I mean that the boat is kept in a 10-mile fresh water lake with
minimal wakes and I normally go about 20mph (planning) through any
areas with wakes.

Could be almost immediate. Gelcoat is brittle, that's why it cracks when
the underlying fiberglass is still fine. Probably two years at absolute
most.

Fair Skies
Doug King