posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
wavy wavy is offline

Default Did a cat pee in my kayak or WHAT?!

Michael Daly wrote:
Steve Cramer wrote:

Chlorine [...] doesn't affect polyethylene.

I just looked at the bleach bottle in the laundry room. It's polyethylene
according to the recycling mark. Use bleach without worry.

Mike

Well there you go! The bleach bottle is made from the same material as
my kayak!
BUT - the foam bulkhead dividers are made from something else.
The hatch cover seals are made out of something similar to wetsuit
material (?) I think.

What I'm searching for (I think) is a fungicide or something that will
lay waste to that nasty smelling organisms that multiply in my kayak's
spongy parts.

And thank you for everyone's replies. To set the record straight - NO
I dont typically store my kayak with the hatch covers sealed. The
awful cat-pee smell developed when I did make such a mistake and now -
every damn time it gets wet inside ITS BAAAACK....

-WaaVy