posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

Perhaps you have never been to the Bahama Out Islands? - We are not talkng
about armchair sailing here, are we ?

Oh gee, what a surprise, an arrogant sailor! Yes, been there done that.

So you choose the spot to anchor based on the internet signal strength??
Great Idea!!

In all situations, of course not. But if someone wants connectivity, and a
great many people live for more than just the sail (even when sailing) it's
a fine idea.

The wifi software that comes with any wifi card, shows a list of available
networks AND their signal strength. Right now, I see my signal at 80% and

my
neighbour's at 18%! So, why do I need more software?

Have I used stumbler? - I downloaded it a year or so ago to my laptop and
checked it out - It did nothing as well as my PDA could do with no add-on
software.

Then you obviously haven't actually tried it. But hey, be pig-headed, it's
apparently in your nature.

And this is in the city, where there can be numerous signals - not
in an out island anchorage where there is seldom more than one available
signal, and a weak one at that.

And perhaps that's the best place for you. The company of others is
apparently not suited to you.