posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Nmea /dsc

"Bjarke M. Christensen" bjarkeNG@grevestrand_punktum_danmark wrote in
:

Thats why I'm looking at the brookhouse nmea mux. It says "The
optional 5th input port can be used for connection of a NMEA-HS talker
such as an AIS receiver. This port can also be configured for a
normal low-speed NMEA device" and customer evidence seems sucessfull.

That's the correct mux for an AIS receiver installation, not the Noland
my Cap'n bought at the boat show. It has no 38,800 baud input.

I've emailed the appropriate webpages to him and hope he can return the
uninstalled Noland. Thanks for the information on the Brookhouse. All
our sailing instruments are B&G "Network" instrument, the now-
discontinued NMEA-0183 compatible ring of instruments that loop through
each other, each adding its statements to the ring for all to read. You
simply pull out one wire, the data wire from anywhere in the ring and
connect it to one input of the mux and all the data from all the
instruments shows up on the network. That's not possible with B&G's new
H series any more, which is why I just added more "Network" instruments
to the ones that came on the boat as "obsolete" by the previous owner.
You can still get "Network" instruments from lots of sources at very
reasonable prices.

The Brookhouse mux with 5th HS port for the AIS input, but still with RS-
232C port I can leave in place of our old Noland will fill the need very
nicely on Lionheart. 38.8Kbaud will make it through my 25-pair helm-to-
nav data cable just fine. That way, I can leave the AIS receiver behind
the nav station's electronics panel where it shares the mizzen Metz
Manta6 VHF antenna with the M59 emergency VHF transceiver through a
proper coax switch. The main VHF is Icom M602 my Cap'n just HAD to have
to match the M802 HF...total overkill. NOONE needs a $US500 VHF radio on
a SAILBOAT!

Again, thank you for the information....