posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Gm1234 Gm1234 is offline

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote

Have you tried it?

It's useful in seeing not only the available networks but their signal
strength. This can be very useful if you want to position yourself for a
better signal. Or aim an antenna if you're anchored such that it's
practical (as in, not a single hook swinging).

Leave it running on a laptop in reasonable view from the helm and you

could
use it to find the most suitable spot to anchor BEFORE throwing out the
hook. Or to make a temporary connection to the net, get what you want and
move on to your anchorage.

It's a tool, like any other, that's useful to those that understand it.

Bill,

Perhaps you have never been to the Bahama Out Islands? - We are not talkng
about armchair sailing here, are we ?

So you choose the spot to anchor based on the internet signal strength??
Great Idea!!

Ever tried anchoring in Hopetown? And you are going to "aim" the antenna
from your anchored boat?

The wifi software that comes with any wifi card, shows a list of available
networks AND their signal strength. Right now, I see my signal at 80% and my
neighbour's at 18%! So, why do I need more software?

Have I used stumbler? - I downloaded it a year or so ago to my laptop and
checked it out - It did nothing as well as my PDA could do with no add-on
software. And this is in the city, where there can be numerous signals - not
in an out island anchorage where there is seldom more than one available
signal, and a weak one at that.

GM