JohnH JohnH is offline

Default Good marine binoculars good enough?

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 01:44:56 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On 5 Jan 2007 16:46:33 -0800, "JimH" wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On 5 Jan 2007 06:54:00 -0800, "Varis" wrote:

Or alternatively I could go for compact generic travel binoculars at
first (7x25 or 8x20

7x25 is all you need for a small boat - range finding binocs are
useless.

Stabilised binocs are fine, but they vary in technique from wet bag to
gyro stabilised. The gyro binocs are the best.

But for a small boat, go with the 7x25s.

I have a pair of 7x35 Nikon's I purchased for less than $50 on sale
from a boat store. They have never failed me for my recreational
needs.

Why folks seem to think they have to spend big bucks for these things
is beyond me.

There have been times where I could have used a set of gyro stabilized
binoculars - hasn't been often though.

If I had my druthers, I'd opt for a good set of light amplifying
binoculars for night viewing.

And, if you can easily afford the best, why settle for something well down
the line. The Canon 10 x42 stabilized is a fine pair of binoculars!
--

John