posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Nmea /dsc

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in
:

Larry, that's NMEA 2000, except it uses CAN bus rather than Ethernet.

It's starting to show up in some GPSs, but I haven't seen any DSC VHFs
with it. Yet.

Yeah, I know, CANbus, another queer, off-the-wall, stupid plan from NMEA
trying to keep the boater from buying READILY AVAILABLE, reasonably-priced,
off-the-shelf, STANDARDIZED data hardware that uses STANDARDIZED
connectors.

Just look at all the wonderful CANbus boxes you can buy at Best Buy or
Circuit City or newegg.com or any computer shop! Everybody knows a lot
about CANbus....must be 20, maybe 30 people, worldwide who are not
designing CAR computers!

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/adn004.pdf

Wanna bet the CONTROLLER in Garmin will NOT work quite right with the
CONTROLLER in Icom or the CONTROLLER in Raymarine or the CONTROLLER in
anything else?

We'll see......too late.