posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Wireless Internet while Cruising

"Messing In Boats" wrote in
oups.com:

So we bought the Verizon
Broadband Aircard and the associated Kyocera KR1 router that it fits
into, because our laptaps don't take the card.

Coverage is outstanding and for your application it should be very high
performance......however.....

Those interested also need to know "Unlimited Access" does NOT mean
"unlimited usage", like a wifi or cable/DSL modem provides.

Verizon, specifically, includes 5GB/month of TOTAL data. This includes
the webpage spam, email avalanche, and everything else. Cellular has
never quite gotten over selling internet by-the-kilobyte, like it did for
years. Also buried in the long "agreement" is:

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bba_terms.html
"Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess,
BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be
used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet
browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to
corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like
customer relationship management, sales force, and field service
automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for
any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without
limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or
streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or
host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera
posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine
connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute
or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by
way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet,
downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets
is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services
and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is
prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one
hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited
uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a
month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to
protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We
reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and
to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is
using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or
whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using
more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the
service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to
immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We
also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer
Agreement term."

In short....no downloading, no streaming, no webcam of the boat on the
net, no gaming, no downloading MP3s from usenet or P2P, no movies,
etc....

$60/month buys you spam-soaked webpages, email and "company intranet",
which is how the school probably is configured for it....

Think it's not enforced? Read:
http://www.evdoforums.com/thread2366-0-asc-165.html
from the users, themselves. You'll see references to 10GB/month. That
was then....5GB is NOW. I guess VZW thought it was giving away the
farm....(c;

Thought I should point this LIMITED "unlimited" service out before a
bunch of liveaboards wasted money on an aircard and were slaves to a
discount contract, then got dumped for abuse and stuck with no
service....

Oh, NO VoIP services on an aircard, either! NO CHEAP SKYPE on cellular's
internet! (although I've used it and it works just fine on Verizon's
Aircards to Japan, Europe, India, etc....(c