JohnH JohnH is offline

Default Do I need trim tabs on my 23' Marquis?

On 4 Jan 2007 19:53:30 -0800, "Tim" wrote:

Actually, I know I DON'T need them, but would they be really worth
installing on my boat.

23' Marquis Cuddy w/ 350 Chevy V8 and "MR" mercruiser outdrive.

The boat has never had them on it, and I was wondering if it would be
beneficial for me to install a set. Do the advantages outweigh the
cost? This boating season, it's going to get a lot of lake time, and
maybe a weekender river cruise on the Ohio/Mississippi and/or the
Illinois river.

not going to be out (if possible) in choppy water, or having an
unbalanced boat with excess weight on either side.

What do you think?

THANKS!

Given the conditions you've stated, smooth water and balanced loads, I'd
probably not spend the money. You didn't say how much money. I have them on
a 21' cuddy, and seldom use them. If the boat is heavily loaded, I usually
have a person or two go up to the bow until I get on plane. I *think* a
little trimming with the tabs may get me a couple mph at cruise RPM (around
3200, for me), but I'm never sure if it's the tabs or the wind/waves.

If I didn't have them, and they were *really* cheap, I might go for them.
But if they were more than a couple hundred bucks, I'd probably pass. I
bought my boat used, and the tabs were already there.

Let us know what you do!
--

John