posted to rec.boats.building
jace jace is offline

Default twin outbaord setup

Thanks, this will give me a good start!

Jay Chan wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to convert a single to a twin
outboard on a 224 Chapparal with a low transom. I want to keep the
150hp evenrude and add a 15hp. Should I move the larger engine to side
and have both engines at equal distances. Or just keep the 15hp off to
the side?

Thanks,

I am not an expert in this area. But I am also planning to add a
kicker motor (or called auxiliary motor) in my small boat.

I am under the impression that people tend to put the small motor on
the side of the main motor instead of trying to move the main motor.
The small motor should not weight that much relative to your boat size,
and you can counter-balance its weight by moving things around (such as
the portable fuel tank, cooler, ...etc) or mount the small motor in the
opposite side of where you sit, or mount it in one side to counter-act
the torque from the propeller.

You may want to check the info about this subjects in the Boston Whaler
forum in
www.continuouswave.com. There are a couple great articles
about mounting kicker motor on small boats.

Good luck.

Jay Chan