Jack Redington Jack Redington is offline

Default Do I need trim tabs on my 23' Marquis?

Tim wrote:
Actually, I know I DON'T need them, but would they be really worth
installing on my boat.

23' Marquis Cuddy w/ 350 Chevy V8 and "MR" mercruiser outdrive.

The boat has never had them on it, and I was wondering if it would be
beneficial for me to install a set. Do the advantages outweigh the
cost? This boating season, it's going to get a lot of lake time, and
maybe a weekender river cruise on the Ohio/Mississippi and/or the
Illinois river.

not going to be out (if possible) in choppy water, or having an
unbalanced boat with excess weight on either side.

What do you think?

THANKS!

I had trim tabs on a 21 ft 3900 lbs cuddy (Crownline 210ccr) and liked
them a lot. It was the first boat I had with tabs. It took a little
while to get use to them. And you can always just leave them up.

The things I like were being able to maintain a slow planing speed if
desired. Assisted in getting on plane when the boat was loaded heavey
with guest and stuff. Being able to level the boat out if the load was
not ballanced or in a hard cross wind.

The one thing you would need to try not to do is allow to much downward
pressure as you can create a "bow steer" condition that is not much fun.

I got so use to them that I would put down the drive leg all the way and
then just back it up a little. Then do all trim adjustment with the tabs.

The little bowrider that I now have I would not add then to. But if I
ever get another cuddy I would most like have them put on if they were
not already installed.

Capt Jack R..