posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] bilh@pd.jaring.my is offline

Default C.A.R.D radar detection

Peter Hendra wrote:
Hi,
Has anyone any knowledge or experience of the C.A.R.D radar detection
system?

I fitted a C.A.R.D. six years ago. It's never faulted and has been
valuable. We've used the C.A.R.D. whilst crossing the N Pacific from W
to E, up and down the Malacca Strait, and sailing through Indonesia to
Australia.

In addition to its 'intended' purpose, we've used the C.A.R.D:

* to verify whether our own radar is working (we had a fault in which
the radar would stop transmitting but the display would freeze);
* to alert us to another boat entering a secluded anchorage; and even
* to detect a terrestrial airport.

Our C.A.R.D. returned its pruchase price to us on a glorious day when
we seemed to be alone in the world, only to find that a Indonesian navy
patrol boat was dead set on running us down. So our C.A.R.D. is one
part of our watchkeeping - it's not indispensible, but it does add
value.

Cheers