Larry Larry is offline

Default Running a large diesel slow

"Harbin Osteen" wrote in
:

Hi Cal:
I have thought of this problem also, of not having enough load on
a diesel to have it run efficiently, and have come to think that a
Diesel- Electric system would be the way to go. You can have a small
generator running for light loads, and slow running, have a larger
generator for running at cruising speed, and run both generators for
War Emergency Power!
Don't know if this is an option in your situation, but here are
some
links that you might find interesting reading.

Fuel Consumption:

- Dependant on load, however, this unit is running 5-6 hours a day
pushing an average of 55 amps dc to charge batteries (Peaks are
substantially higher). During this time, AC current from the AC Generator
supplies the house and 1/4 gallon an hour usage is typical. If the
battery bank weren't so big, far less time would be spent charging and
fuel consumption would drop dramatically.

http://psychicworldusa.com/Lister_Gen/Lister1.html

No need of starting batteries, either! Just turn the crank and away she
goes! Watch the videos at the bottom...(c;

What's that you say? Noise?? What noise? Huh? I can't hear you!
Speak louder!...Yes, it DOES sound like a pile driver, doesn't it?...hee
hee.

I wonder how many hours are on the Listers that light up all kinds of
villages in India??