posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots
Peter Peter is offline

Default Can anyone ID this knot?

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

Don't know if there is a particular name for it - I'd just call it a
"bad" bowline, with the tail outside the main loop, rather than inside
where it belongs. (The rabbit went around the tree the wrong way.)

Both variants are legal and it depends on the use case. Tail outside is
better, if you have to fix it e.g. around a pole.

But depends on traditions, which kind of bowline (tail inside/outside)
is the correct one

e.g.: In the 19th century for the German navy the correct bowline was
tail outside, while for the german mercantile marine the correct
bowline was tail inside.

--
http://www.skipperguide.com