posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots
Gordon Gordon is offline

Default Can anyone ID this knot?

Peter Bennett wrote:
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:36:28 -0500, Jeff wrote:

BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

Don't know if there is a particular name for it - I'd just call it a
"bad" bowline, with the tail outside the main loop, rather than inside
where it belongs. (The rabbit went around the tree the wrong way.)

Stupid Rabbit! Elmer probably nailed that one!