posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Can anyone ID this knot?

Jeff wrote:
BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

OK, its the Dutch Bowline or Cowboy Bowline. I was always taught it
was flawed, but I guess Dutch cowboys think differently.

http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm