posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building
Larry Larry is offline

Default Telephone, too (was) WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
ups.com:

So, I'm on the hunt for a plug-and-play, moderately amplified (don't
want to be a bigmouth nuisance), point-and-click-to-associate
(required, not go to strongest signal, also a benefit in the cases
where there may be multiple iterations of the same SSID with different
MAC addresses), bridge (12V, as I've already spent the bux to have the
POE).

I've taken AIW out of the group list for this message......(c;

Tried to call you, today, through the Linksys Mobile Repeater in my car
from Denny's, but Skype said you were unavailable....

Because you got my interest up with your bridge and its problems, I read
all about Linksys' little $99 WRE54G "Range Extender" completely wireless
repeater. There it sat on the shelf so I bought it at Best Buy so I can
take it back, easily, if it didn't "do".

Denny's has a marginal open wifi signal from "default" (a Netgear? router
somewhere), which I thought was coming from Denny's office, but evidently
not. Signals are 10% on the Skype phone or laptop inside the metal
restaurant through the windows, I suppose, now.

In the parking lot, I plugged the 110VAC Linkie into a little inverter
and pressed the Auto Configure button. It blinked a couple of times and
went solid blue. I looked at my Skype Phone and was connected to the
illusive "default" at FULL SCALE. Inside the restaurant about 200' away,
it was only half scale and fully functional! You just press the
button... It comes with control software so you can force it to connect
to what you want and you can set that up with Ethernet direct or over the
air. The software hunts it down on wireless....

Later, at the Dell kiosk inside Northwoods Mall where only one nearby
hotspot is open and all others WEP protected, we plugged it in and Auto
Configured and it hooked right up to the open system. All the laptops
connected through it, simultaneously to "linksys", the open system, with
big signals from close to them. They're gonna get one...(c;

If the Vonage box will use the AP box as a WAN input through this box,
might be interesting to try. You can always take it back within 30 days
for refund. It's only 20mw, though and I don't see how you'd reset it at
masthead. Put it in a plastic bag trailing a 115VAC dropcord and haul it
up on a lanyard??

Man it sure makes the Skype phone LONG RANGE! Now, I'm forced to keep
it!

--
http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/verichip.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeriChip