Jeff Jeff is offline

Default food for thought

Larry wrote:
Jeff wrote in
:

Jeff, currently sipping coffee from Finca El Injerto, Huehuetenango,
Guatemala, roasted to perfection last night, brewed in an Eva Solo.

This morning, I decided to splurge in honor of the New Year. I've made a
pot of Chef Mavro's Signature Blend, Lion Coffee Company, Hawaii. My
friend David, who owns an Altzheimer's home in Honolulu, sends me these
Hawaiian care packages and always puts a few pounds of some "islands only"
blend in. Hawaii makes amazing Kona Coffees.

Take a look at this guy's galley:
http://www.chefmavro.com/
Click on the coffee button to find out how you can treat yourselves....

I'm sure that's very good coffee, but if you want the real thing, not
just a 10% blend, there are lots of sources for real Kona. This has
been a major issue in Hawaii and in the purist coffee circles.
Current law permits "Kona Blend" to have 90% anonymous beans, but the
local counties passed a law requesting the state to require 75% Kona,
plus labeling of the remainder to qualify as "Kona Blend." The 10%
blend is being pushed by the large retailers, with the packager of
your Mavro Blend in the forefront.

If you want real Kona, you might try one of the farmers listed he
http://konacoffeefarmers.org/

For the last few years I've used this small farm:
http://www.smithfarms.com/

I admit that I'm a bit biased because I had the opportunity to meet
the owners and chat at some length and have corresponded since, but
the quality is on a par with any other Kona I've had, and they seem to
be a bit cheaper. For roasted coffee, they are $18 per lb, so 2
pounds plus shipping is under $42. While this sounds like a lot, if
you go to a "gourmet" shop you'll pay something like $24 for a 12 oz
bag. By roasting my own, I bring the price down to under $14/lb
delivered and the green beans stay fresh until I'm ready to use it.
Still, that's pricey for me, so I only get it a few times a year. It
is, however, the best coffee you can get without paying astronomical
prices.