Shaun Van Poecke Shaun Van Poecke is offline

Default food for thought

Get a copy of M Greenwald's book, "Cruising Chef Cookbook".

Equipment:

6 qt, S/S pressure cooker
4 qt, cast Iron Dutch Oven
8 qt, stock pot with strainer for cooking and draining pasta.
Dehydrator
Pepper mill
Cheese grater
Additions as required.

Supplies:

Legumes, pasta, rice, canned chopped clams, canned meats, canned tomatoes,
flour, sugar, chocolate, popcorn, hard cheese.

Fresh onions, cabbage, carrots, etc, store well, potatoes don't.

I've heard mixed things about potatoes, maybe it depends on the climate?
Some old sailing literature shows that they were carried on longer coyages,
joshua slocum carried a couple of barrels of potatos on the spray, but he
got a bad deal on rotten nasty potatoes in south america. He cant say
enough good things about potatoes.

Ive carried them when i camp, and they seem to last alright in the
australian desert at 45 degrees celsius, but ive only carried them for two
weeks. Not storing them in plastic bags seems to make s big difference ;-)

Bay leaves in flour, rice, etc, keep the bugs out.

Thats a good tip, and the first time ive heard it! I love using bay leave
in curries and stew, i have a good size bay tree outside my house. Roughly
how many bay leaves to how many pound sof rice/flour?

Thanks, Shaun