Jeff Jeff is offline

Default food for thought

I don't have any neat "boat recipes", but my experience is most things
that are simple to cook at home won't be too bad on the boat. A small
pressure cooker may come in handy - we had a large one that was just
too cumbersome to use on a daily basis, and we recently bought a small
one specifically for the boat. The real issue will be living without
refrigeration, but with a good icebox you can make do.

One "trap" we fell into went we took off for a year was assuming we
would change our habits to suit boat life. Its easy to have special
food for a few days, but on longer trips you'll probably find you want
to eat the same food you eat at home. In other words, if you like
pasta, or rice, or chicken, or beef, those will be the same foods
you'll want on the boat. So while its fine to look for recipes, you
shouldn't forget to figure out how to cook your favorite comfort foods
while onboard.

One more thing - coffee is important to us, and we've found that we
don't have to compromise on that at all. Fortunately, I'm not an
espresso fan, because for regular coffee, a French Press or a simple
pour-over makes as good a brew (if not much better) than any automatic
drip or percolator. The only real issue is a grinder, but there are
some good manual coffee mills, and an electric only uses a fraction of
an amp-hour per use. For the real devotee, you can even roast your
own on a grill (don't do it down below!) using a whirly-pop popcorn
pot. We left for out trip with 25 pounds of unroasted green beans,
and ordered more halfway through.