Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default food for thought

In article ,
"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote:

Im looking for any and all recipes out there that keep you going! Best of
all are single burner recipes that use ingredients which dont require
refrigeration, have the least amount of preparation required, are fast to
cook and have enough nutritional value to be considered as a daily meal~

Most 'camp recipes' i come across seam to be smores based or similar ie. a
nice treat to have on a weekend campout, but not what youd really call food.
What im really hoping for is as many recipes as possible of things you
actually cook while cruising, especially things you'd cook on longer
cruises, like more than 2 weeks for example.

We've cruised up to three weeks with what we had on board, other than
incidentals that don't keep well, like bread. We didn't have to, but it
was a good exercise that could be done while we found out how far we
could go in 3 weeks on the ICW (ans: over 900 nm).

Starting with a pretty efficient main ice box and frozen meats, we had
meat of some sort almost every dinner. The fresh fish, of course, went
first, and we were down to foil packets at the end, but we found we
could eat about the same we do at home, sometimes better, such as when
we got crabs or shrimp straight from the watermen -- ambrosia.

We do most of our heavy cooking on the propane grill on the rail, as the
cabin gets too hot. The grill works as an oven to some extent, but that
takes practice.

For most cruising, say coastal, ICW or most of the Caribbean, planning
for a week is sufficient, as you're rarely more than a day or two from
somewhere where people live. They'll have food -- and ice ;-) Might not
be what you're used to, but sampling local fare is one reason we travel.

That said, there are *many* possible totally unrefrigerated meals,
starting with most of what you eat at home, but there will be some
adaptations. Stroll down your supermarket's aisles. See how many meats,
vegetables, fruits, pastas and so forth are stored at room temps. Read
some cruising guides to find out how to keep eggs, fresh veggies and
such. There are even cruising and backpacking cookbooks.

And don't forget that you don't have to cook everything at once. Thus,
that single burner can cook the contents of multiple pots. Don't limit
yourself to meals that are all mashed together.

You will eat as well or poorly as you choose.

--
Jere Lull