posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless
Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

- I don't believe they are weather proof.

Weatherproof and not working is not a solution. There are any number of
ways to put something into a box. But to that end, I put my WRT54G in the
radar arch last spring. As of winter it's shown no signs whatsoever of
corrosion.

- I'm pretty sure they are not high power ( 50 mw )

You are incorrect. It's adjustable. But high-power does not mean better
functionality. This is a very common misconception.

- Do no directly support Power Over Ethernet (POE)

Again, if it doesn't work, what's the point. POE isn't all it's cracked up
to be if you're not using effective gauge wire. Wire that's too thin will
cause voltage drop.

So although they can potentially do the job, they are not exactly
ideal for mounting up the mast in an extended range application.

If you want it to work then building a box or running wire is a trivial fix.