posted to rec.boats.building

Default King Starboard for backing plate material .. under stanchion bases question

I saw this new material. Some sailboat builders are using it for making
hatch doors.
For sure Starboard material is much better than plywood and If would be a
fair alternative to Aluminums.
The last time I have inquired about it I had to purchase a complete sheet
and the thickness was about 3/8" thick
Personally, SS flat bar stock is not all that expensive and it would be far
more superior than Startboard.
SS flat bar come in different thickness and width. The last time I bought
some at the Metal Supermarket
they cut the flat bar into squares for me. All I had to do was to bore the
holes and deburr the edges.
The back up plate is only as strong as your deck. Some deck have a plywood
core. After x amount of years if the deck fittings have not been re-bedded
and the deck properly sealed water may have infiltrated the plywood.

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Planning for spring. I will rebed my stanchion bases. Under the deck,
the backing is a thin piece of fiberglass. I would like to give the bases
a bit more support. I came across the material Starboard.

It says that I can cut it just like wood, but that it does not rot. What
about compression?

Could I use some small pieces of this as backing plate material for my
stanchion bases?