posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:46:55 -0500, "Bill Kearney"
wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:

It's trivial, get a pair of WRT54G routers, use one as a link to the shore.
Use the other as a on-boat access point, wired to the first one. Done.
Then it's just a trivial matter to browse to the shore linking device,
picking the on-shore SSID desired and you're done.

I'm sure that the WRT54Gs work fine in your configuration,

but:

- I don't believe they are weather proof.

- I'm pretty sure they are not high power ( 50 mw )

- Do no directly support Power Over Ethernet (POE)

So although they can potentially do the job, they are not exactly
ideal for mounting up the mast in an extended range application.