Jeff Morris

Default Battery Meter

Actually, I'm not sure they disagreed. All of my experts were talking about
marine batteries in a practical environment. Two are the manufacturers of the
batteries we each happen to use, the other is the acknowledged expert in
cruising boat systems. None of your "experts" ever mentioned marine batteries;
in fact, I don't think they mentioned production batteries hardly at all.
Several weren't even talking about flooded cells. One actually gave numbers
closer to mine than yours.

Also, your "experts" mention an approximate value in passing, without a
discussion of charging, measuring state of charge, and surface charge. My
experts were all talking specifically about these subjects, and were unequivocal
that your approach to measuring state of charge is flawed.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
First characteristic of a losing argument: claiming all of the experts are
wrong,

Your experts disagree with my experts.
Surely you noticed that?

No - you seemed to imply that not running a charging system was unnatural for
boater. You called a "working environment" one that has a charger running.

Normally a battery works in an environment where there is a charger, or an
alternator. Neither the charger nor the alternator runs all the time, but one
or the other will be running when the battery is being charged, which has a
direct bearing on a question regarding the voltage reading of a battery that
has reached a full charge state.

From your perspective, on a sailboat, that may not be true. If you don't have
an auxiliary and you're charging the battery at home in your garage, you're
probably never going to see anything above 12.6 on the boat.