posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless
Skip - Working on the boat Skip - Working on the boat is offline

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

Hi, Ian, and group(s),

Ian Malcolm wrote:
Skip Gundlach wrote:

I configure the bridge to a blank SSID, which makes it look for the
strongest signal. That's ok, but in this case, that caused it to
redirect to their signin page. Otherwise, were that not the case, I
could then go into the configuration page and specify which of the
available ones, even those not shown, perhaps from a hidden SSID, or
one I know to be available at less strength than the first (and limited
to) 8 shown, such as I did before the pay site hijacked the signal.

If your browser home page requires *any* DNS access to get to it, you
will get redirected to the signin page on most commercial wireless ISPs.
Similarly, if the router has got the DNS server address from the ISP
via DHCP, and your bridge has a 'friendly' name for its configuration
page rather than a dotted IP address, you will end up at the signin page
again :-(

Set your home page to blank then try accessing the bridge by its ip
address rather than by name. The url should be of the form
http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/ fill in the correct numbers for your setup.

If that works for you, BOOKMARK the location in that format or maybe set
it as your home page.

Would that it did - My reaction comes from merely typing in the URL
(the way I usually reach the bridge to configure it) in nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
format, whereupon the pay site(s? - I've not been in an area with more
than one at the moment, though the readout shows many presumed pay
sites as well, some of which have more strength, but not as good a
communications level)) redirects to their signin page.

The bridge has no name - there's not a place to name it, even. In AP
format, I could name the AP if I wanted, as well as the SSID. However,
the bridge is notable only from its MAC address. Setting my home page
to a blank (no characters on the line) has no effect - and in any case,
unless I were to click the home icon, other than at startup, the home
page would not appear.

So, I'm looking into (don't really know where to look - one of the
cites in this thread looks promising but I have to say that I'm so gun
shy about Senao that I'd want to see one working before I went through
anything remotely like what I have with wlansolutions) some other
bridge which would see all available without selecting one for me, and
let me push a radio button rather than have to type in the actual name.
In this area, at least, while not so in my particular location at the
moment, there are many instances of duplicate SSID names.

The one I have (from the wlansolutions website "Multi-Client
Bridge/Access Point Module Prism 2.5 High Power (200mW) 2611 CB3 PLUS
MD" - the module, not enclosed version - 200, not 250mw, though Ric has
the same product name unit - perhaps in the desktop version - on his
boat) requires typing in the SSID - which, if there are more than one
of the same name, makes for pot luck in selection. If, as should be
possible, the scan shows two of the same name, a given MAC should show,
and if that one is selected, that should be the one for the bridge to
associate.

So, perhaps better covered in a different thread, are there any other
suggestions for client bridge replacement candidates - ones which would
allow me to click my bookmark/favorite/whatever to reach the
configuration page, and point and click on the desired connection point
- but also *not* connect to any until asked, regardless of strength??

BTW, at least at the moment, the link Ansley provided stalls and goes
nowhere when attempting any info other than the home page...

Thanks for all the dialogue. I'm passing it along to various other
non-subscribers to see if there's a solution visible.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing,
messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never
get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to
do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."