Larry Larry is offline

Default Best Navigation Software?

"OrvilNewton" wrote in
ups.com:

Dell Latitude D800.

We run "The Cap'n" on a Dell Latitude aboard "Lionheart". It's processing
data from B&G Network instruments, Raymarine Smart Heading Sensor/Compass
sensor/RL70CRC display, B&G's Yeoman paper chart plotter I mounted under
the chart table top for paper chart backup, B&G Network Pilot autopilot, a
Garmin GPSMAP 185S (backup GPS/charting sounder/chartplotter). I'm waiting
for the captain to bring the NAV computer back to the boat for installation
of an upgrade to read the AIS data from a new AIS receiver, and Noland's
newest multiplexer. The new Cap'n software upgrade is supposed to add the
AIS targets to its charts.

CG uses Cap'n as does many shipping companies. It works fine and doesn't
crash the Dell notebook. I'm even running it through a wireless Ethernet
router and serial-to-Ethernet Webfoot adapter to cut the wires hampering
its location. I can lay on a beanbag under the genoa and drive Lionheart
from the wireless laptop on the bow while the winch slaves back in the
cockpit are coming about...(c; Webfoot comes with "virtual serial port"
software that fools Cap'n into thinking it's connecting to the NMEA via RS-
232. The VSP handles the Ethernet routing for it.