posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.building,alt.internet.wireless
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default WiFi at Sea (technical, sorry)

On 22 Dec 2006 11:16:02 -0800, "Akka" wrote:

I apologize for my lack of geeky-ness, but what is this device and
where do I get one? We've used directional and non-directional wi-fi
antennas in the past, and while they seem to improve our reception over
just using the antenna in our laptop, it's not an order-of-magnitude
improvement -- and it sounds as if your improvement is way more than
that!

You can buy omni-directional antennas with relatively high gain - 9 to
15 db depending on model. Mounted at a decent height of 20 to 50 ft,
you can extend your range from a decent access point out to 2 or 3
miles, sometimes more.

In order to avoid feed line losses between the antenna and the wifi
client/bridge, Skip has chosen to mount his bridge at the top of the
mast close to the antenna, and power the bridge via the ethernet cable
- Power Over Ethernet, aka, POE.

http://wlanparts.com/