posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin Jim Conlin is offline

Default Thinning Epoxy

That'd good advice.
Another trick is to warm the cracked object with a heatlamp or heatgun.
This will reduce the viscosity of the resin.
Don't warm your mixed resin, lest it go off before your eyes.

"sailrjim" wrote in message

James Wrote:
A while back someone mentioned that you could thin epoxy with acetone.
I need to pour some into some cracks.I'm using System 3 epoxy. Thanks,
Jim

--

So, what is your specific question?

Some notes:

1. Thinning of epoxy with acetone is possible. However, last I read,
Gougeon Brothers recommended against the practice.

2. Thnning of the epoxy results in a more porous and brittle coating.
When coating a surface, the acetone evaporates leaving a porous product
behind. Acetone is not part of the epoxy reaction as I understand it.
However, not certain the effect when using to fill a crack. You may
end with a weak joint in the crack if the acetone cannot escape.

3. I would suggest using a low viscosity epoxy or one especially
formulated for filling cracks.

--
sailrjim