posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck chuck is offline

Default Wire Sizing Between Batteries?

bushman wrote:
I am ready to install new batteries. I have not found a reference for wire
size - between - batteries. I have six T105 six volt batteries. What size
wire should be used to series and parallel them? The boat has 2/0 with a
250amp fuse running to the battery selector switch. I am not sure how much
my started draws (Perkins 4-108) but I would like to size to start from
either the starting or house batteries or both. One more thing that does not
look right is that the Neg wire on the starting battery is size one or two
connected to the house bank Neg only. Shouldn't there be a jumbo size wire
directly to the engine block at the starter?

Thanks as always. I couldn't have come this far without you folks.
- Allen

Hello Allen,

You could take the view that the interconnecting wires should be able to
handle either the maximum, short-circuit current of any of the
batteries, or the current rating of the main fuse, whichever is smaller.
There's a logic to that approach.

If the runs are on the order of just a few feet, I would say that 2/0
wire satisfies the rule nicely. You want your fuse to go before your
wires or your batteries.

Engine starting batteries are typically grounded directly to the engine
block near the starter as you indicated. But if the system you have has
been working OK, there's really no need to change it. I'd visit the
starting wiring only if you are having trouble starting in very cold
weather, etc.

Good luck,

Chuck