NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Dreaming and the basics of how to start

So how are all thoes "writer and sailing experts" in the sailing
magazines who have "zillions of miles under their keel" and did
everything and are experts in all things that float going to live after
they are too old to work? I am assuming they did not bank much in 40
years of sailing and writing 500 word articles for $200 each.

Any clues?
================================================== ===================================

Are you living to die or dying to LIVE? Those writers who have spent 40
years traveling all over the world and writing $200 dollar articles about
their adventures may not have much money, they might end up poor, homeless,
who knows. But, when their epitath is written, when their last cruise has
ended, they will go to their maker knowing that the trip here on earth was a
great ride.

Rather than mock them, I think of them as my hero's. I read of their
successes and of their failures. The storms they endured. The good times.
And sometimes the bad. Sure, they could have stayed put, worked at a job,
never set out for who knows where. But some urge, something within them,
sent them out onto the ocean. They ventured forth in small boats. Would we
be a better lot if not for the likes of Captain Joshua Slocum?

Robert Service, the poet put it best.

There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood,
And they climb the mountain's crest;
Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest.

If they just went straight they might go far;
They are strong and brave and true;
But they're always tired of the things that are,
And they want the strange and new.
They say: "Could I find my proper groove,
What a deep mark I would make!"
So they chop and change, and each fresh move
Is only a fresh mistake.

And each forgets, as he strips and runs
With a brilliant, fitful pace,
It's the steady, quiet, plodding ones
Who win in the lifelong race.
And each forgets that his youth has fled,
Forgets that his prime is past,
Till he stands one day, with a hope that's dead,
In the glare of the truth at last.

He has failed, he has failed; he has missed his chance;
He has just done things by half.
Life's been a jolly good joke on him,
And now is the time to laugh.
Ha, ha! He is one of the Legion Lost;
He was never meant to win;
He's a rolling stone, and it's bred in the bone;
He's a man who won't fit in.

Robert Service

================================================== ================================================== ==========

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Woodsy wrote:

My wife and I will be in South Florida for vacation the week
of Christmas, and would like to look at ?catamarans? capable of a
circumnavigation.

I suggest ya read teh post titled Cat Capsized off Oregon coast before
comitting to a cat capable of a round the world.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...GHUN14OU18.DTL

How many upside down cat stories are necessary for people see a
pattern?!?

We would not be able to purchase before next fall,
hinging on the sale of everything we own to accomplish this dream.

As soon as I see the word "dream" I get worried.

Is there a polite way to view boats in the $100k to $150k range while
not feeling that we are taking advantage of some brokers time, or a
private individual's time, knowing that the boats we look at will have
been sold by then? (I also wonder if SO will be able to handle the
small quarters)

Just say what ya just said. Let the owner/broker make the choice.

Is it realistic to think that a well equipped boat, with $100k in the
bank will last? 5?, 10?, 20 years till social security kicks in?

Sure. $!00,000 x .055 = $5,500/year.
But is SSI sis the only thin ya got for later.......?

Which breangs me to anothe queston.

So how are all thoes "writer and sailing experts" in the sailing
magazines who have "zillions of miles under their keel" and did
everything and are experts in all things that float going to live after
they are too old to work? I am assuming they did not bank much in 40
years of sailing and writing 500 word articles for $200 each.

Any clues?

Looking for input, thank full for your time.
Frank and Gail.

Try the "crusing simulator" posted her a few years back.

(and is "Gail Wins" a bad name for a boat?)

No worse than "wet spot" or "breaking wind"

--

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...